I was given the opportunity to review the Book Unjunk Your Junk Food by Andrea Donsky & Randy Boyer. This book was a REAL eye opener, in regards to Junk Food (which I have a very big sweet tooth). The authors gives Healthy alternatives to conventional snacks. A few weeks ago, I started dieting, just wanting to lose a few pounds as it’s about to be Summer and …EWWW…bathing suit weather. One thing that I loved about this book, was food products that you think are healthy and good for you, turn out not to be. The authors have one snack on one page, they give point out the pros and cons of that particular product. Then on the other page they give you a healthy alternative. Unjunk Your Junk Food has really helped me learn to read food labels.
The book lists The Scary Seven, or seven things you DON’T want to see in your foods.
- HFCS: High-Fructose Corn Syrup (AKA glucose-fructose in Canada)
- TRANS-FATS: Anything listed as ‘partially hydrogenated’ or ‘hydrogenated’ (includes vegetable shortening);
- MSG: Monosodium glutamate;
- ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS: Any artificial flavoring;
- ARTIFICIAL COLORS: Any type of artificial dyes;
- ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS: Chemical sweeteners including Aspartame, Splenda (sucralose), Ace-K (Acesulfame Potassium), Saccharine, etc.
- PRESERVATIVES: Polysorbate 60, 65 & 80, TBHQ, Sodium Benzoate, BHA, BHT, Sulfur Dioxide (sulfites).
A few of these, I never thought to look at before. After reading this book, I went through my kitchen cabinets and “cleaned house.” If your looking to start eating healthier, you really need to pick up this book!